Saturday, May 15, 2010

Moodle

I have been using Moodle as a Learning Management System for over a year now and training a few teachers how to use it, and I feel convinced that there are many good reasons for using it in the primary school. It is a fantastic tool for storing and delivering content and all of your digital resources related to a unit of work in one place that is accessible from any internet connection. You can use it to store flipcharts, embedded videos, worksheets, links, activities, assessment items and your teaching program. I have seen it used for organising and planning Literacy and Numeracy Groups, Inquiry units and personal projects. The problem anyone who hasn't used Moodle before is that the Moodle courses (units of work) are often stored behind a firewall on a school or district server or may require an enrolment key in order to access them, so it is difficult for me to show you exactly what I mean. I have some screenshots below and some links this week to sample courses. There is some new learning involved in getting familiar with Moodle. I have taught myself so you can too. Best place to begin to learn about Moodle is with these 2 Minute Moodles . You could then download some free software such as Poodle that allows you to run Moodle on your own computer (I haven't tried it sorry) or follow this link and learn how to run Moodle from a USB stick (I have been told though that it runs pretty slow via a thumb drive). You could also try a free hosting service such as Ninehub or Keys To School in order to dip your toe in the water. You will perhaps run out of space fairly soon and have to consider paying for some kind of hosting, whether it be your own school, district, diocese or a provider such Sentral , suggested to me by Warren McCullough . Hopefully the links collected this week will help you get into Moodle. Happy Moodling.

The example above shows how a Kinder teacher embedded all her dance instruction videos into a Moodle course in preparation for an upcoming school social.
This unit shows how students can follow a procedure, see a work sample and upload their completed assignment for marking.

Cool Stuff I found this week:

3 comments:

  1. Hi Charlie.
    I'm still reading you! What's the difference between having a class wiki (which I have) and a Moodle?
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kate,
    Thanks for following. Moodle allows you to do a whole lot more and you can even add a wiki to your moodle course for the kids to use. I suggest you have a look at the 2 minute moodles suggested above.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree Charlie

    Moodle gives you a whole lot more to use with your students, and you can keep track of their progress eg give them quizzes and you can see where they need more attention both individually and as a group. Or a forum where you give them a maths problem that they have to work out and submit showing their working before they can see the replies of the other students.

    ReplyDelete